Monday, March 3, 2014

Time flies when I have 5 minutes to teach the flute

Oh boy. So the other day, I had to give a model lesson on what I would teach in the first five minutes of a beginning flute lesson.

I think that about sums it up how it went.

I got caught up in the moment. I tried to teach too many things at once. My teacher, Professor Brandt Schneider, made me realize that I was trying to do too much in too little time. I was more focused on how to breathe than how to make a sound on the flute. Although breathing is a very important part of playing well, I now see that I can let it slide until a later lesson. 

First things first. Stop talking so much!!! After I was done, I realized how much I was actually talking and if I were to press the rewind button to do it all again, I would focus on procedure, procedure, procedure. Without a procedure, everything will end up like a horrific train wreck before you can blink! If there is time after that, I would focus on how to make a sound on the head joint. 

Long story short and with hindsight being 20/20, there were quite a few things that I would change about how i went about the precious five minutes. But, as I said, procedure, procedure, procedure, and don't talk so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment