Monday, April 7, 2014

Tempo in 10 minutes...GO!

It wasn't terrible, but I think it could have gone better.

What went well:

Overall, I feel like I more or less got my point across. My goal was to show my students that there is more than one way that we can identify the tempo of a piece of music. In addition to that, I wanted to begin to show my students the "tip of the iceberg" so to speak about the words used to describe tempo.

What I could improve on:

While they were scratching the surface of an understanding of tempo, I think I could have done more with it. At first, I wanted to lay a groundwork so my students had a comfortable knowledge of tempo before getting into any activities. Now, I see that I could have set up various stations with pieces of music and hands on activities. If I started like that and circulated to the small groups, I would be able to explain the tempo of that station, as well as provide a translation and further reinforce examples of that tempo. By doing instead of sitting and listening, my students will have a much stronger understanding of different tempos in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment